What is Forest School?
Forest School takes children from the classroom and immerses them in the natural environment. It’s a long term, inspirational and nurturing process that develops self-esteem, risk taking and self-confidence. Forest School is run by qualified practitioners who have a passion for the natural world and seeing every child succeed. The health and safety of all participants is central to everything done within a Forest School programme.
Where will Forest School activities happen?
At Dell Farm, there is a small woodland area and access to nature woodland nearby which are perfect for Forest School activities.
What will the children do?
Children take part in a variety of activities dependent on age and ability. Examples include:
- Team building exercises
- Exploring woodland and shelter building
- Discovering mini-beasts, flora and fauna
- Fire lighting, camp fire cooking and using tools safely
- Woodland crafts and natural arts
How will children benefit?
The wide variety of experiences with links to key areas of the National Curriculum have a range of benefits including:
- Developing social skills; communicating and negotiating with peers and adults to solve problems and share experiences
- Improving their health and fitness; being active in an outdoor, natural environment
- Developing an appreciation of nature and a sense of responsibility for looking after our woodlands
- Gaining knowledge and understanding through multi –sensory and real life learning